Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Angels in many forms!


As the Eller family commonly do, we went camping one weekend. This was no ordinary camping trip, as the rain proceeded to fall on us as the snow fell on the mountains. The heat was astonishing, as it reached an amazing high of possibly 40 F. As we sat huddled around the fire, listening to the pitter-pat of the rain on the tarp, many a prayer was sent up thanking the Lord for a warm fire.


My Nana is almost 89 years old, and can be rather unsteady on her feet, especially after dark. One night as she was walking back to the delightfully warm, huge fire, all of a sudden she lost her balance and started falling---into the fire! All she could think was, "Lord, this is it. I'm going in", but instantly she felt strong hands pull her away from the fire! "Thank You for sending an angel to save my life". The fire was so hot that Nana does not believe that her body could have taken the shock! She thinks that she would have spent her last days in pain from that fire!


The next morning, as we were discussing the near mishap, we found out that Nana's angel was very visible that night. As Shama and I were on the other side of the fire, we saw it all happen, but could not do anything about it. We saw Nana's angel at work. It was Cody, a boy of about 14 years old who had been standing behind her and caught her as she started to fall.

Nana cannot stop reminiscing on how the Lord saved her that night! Hebrews 13:2 says: "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." Cody is no stranger to us, but God can use many different "angels" to take care of his people. Keep your eyes and ears open to the Lord, because YOU can be an angel, too.

One more little miracle: On our way home this afternoon from Faith Camp in Kooskia, Idaho, (about 300 miles away) all of us were sleeping while my dad drove. We had to spend the night in someone's back-yard because our truck was about to break down and we had to get it fixed this morning. My dad was very tired and struggling to stay awake. As the truck decelerated while coming into a small town, I awoke from my slumbering and my dad said that HE had just fallen asleep, but had opened his eyes just in time to compress the brake pedal and not plow into a car ahead of us! God sends His angels in many forms to rescue His children.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

It is amazing how often God intervenes on our behalf and sends His angels. In all kinds of ways.
I think I've noticed it more lately because I've been praying a lot more and looking for God to work.
I'm glad that your Nana is alright and that you all made the trip safely :)

Kelsey said...

Hey! The story reminds me of a cradleroll song... "Jesus sends the angels, angels, angels, Jesus sends the angels to watch me while I'm camping..."

BTW, how is your knitting coming? In the pic it almost looks like your dad is knitting too :)

Josh and Stephanie Lewis said...

I found your blog Phoebe! PTL for His protection. My campouts this summer have been less dramatic. You know, the useal stuf: hiking half dome. suburn. passing out GLOW on the trail was a blessing. You might like the pictures:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2004552&l=639a5&id=1018934376

I talked to Jason this morning, he asked for your contact info so he could give you an update about starr!
Enjoy your last few days here, and pack lightly. (thailand has everything)
Keep up the good work!

For His joy,

Joshua

Chopsticks on Oboe said...

Hey Pheobe! That's a great blog! Praise the Lord for His tender care!

I can't believe that you are going so soon! I'll be praying for you! Are you going to keep up your blog while you're over there? I would love to see pictures of your experiences! I'm heading over to Norway on August 20. Until then, I have been taking a class on precalculus. I miss going to your room and checking over math early in the mornings with Emily! Good times. I'm glad you'll still be at SAU when I get back! :)

God bless on your mission! We will definitely keep in touch! Love you girl!

Ashley said...

Hey there girl! I felt kindo of silly when i responded to your comment....on My blog! haha Anyway, thanks for responding. yeah, summer classes are going well, and will, I hope, for the next three years. :) Your blog is awesome! You always inspire and encourage me to draw nearer to God and always see the bright side of things. (aka smiles with all that bad weather) You are such a blessing Phoebe!!! God bless you on your trip! Hey, was Emily Yoder the friend you were talking about that you said can't go until September? still haven't talked to her yet.

Jen said...

greetings, i am glad that we found each other in blog land. thanks for sharing stories of how god has been providing. i am excited for you as you get ready to head out. i pray that god will bless you richly my friend! lets keep in touch.