Sunday, September 21, 2008

Food? What's that?? (lessons while fasting)

Yay, tomorrow we actually get to eat normal food! This sure has been an interesting past 5 days! Thankfully we have been able to eat fruit on Sabbath and "rice porridge" today with more fruit. (That was kind of interesting, just rice, water, and salt). It is a nice feeling to have fully accomplished a 5-day fast! I have learned some very interesting things while on my fast. These last few months that I have been here in Thailand, I have had a hard time with the food. I haven't had a hard time eating the food, but the difference in flavors has been messing with my taste-buds and appetite! I have not been getting much fruit (because they like to eat rice for breakfast & lunch & supper) and they don't usually eat very much fruit. I don't know exactly the reason, but I have been having a hard time not eating too much! Lol, that sounds crazy, I know.

I was reading my Bible one morning and came across these verses: Luke 12:22-23, 31: And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on. The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment. But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.

I have recently realized that self-control is not what I need to overcome the sins in my life. It is full surrender to the Lord that will help me accomplish that. We cannot do it on our own. It is ONLY through the Lord's power that we can overcome. Thankfully, God has given us a promise: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." He will hold true to that promise! Praise the Lord I will be able to eat tomorrow. :D Lol, hopefully, with His help, not too much!

4 comments:

Kelsey said...

Wow Phoebe... that almost reminds me of my Raw Diet...
I'm glad you've learned so many things from your experience!

Hope your day is going well! You're in my prayers.

Matthew and Beth-Anne said...

Hi Phoebe!
You can add me to your blog, no problem! I will read up on your blog soon (today is a crazy day!) but you are in my prayers as well. May God bless His work through you.
~Beth-Anne

Chopsticks on Oboe said...

Phoebe! Yikes, it sounds like quite the fast! I fasted once over four meals and promptly passed out! I decided then that I should probably at least eat fruit or something to keep me on my feet! :) I'm glad that you can have some food tomorrow!

I hope that you're doing well in Thailand! I miss you lots! It's going to be exciting that you'll be at SAU next year with me though! We should certainly do something together!

I hope you don't mind, I added a link to your blog from mine. It's great to see pictures of your time in Thailand!

Love you lots and miss you!

Emily said...

Phoebe,
Thanks for all the little comments that you leave me... so sweet! Nursing school is going well, I have another exam tomorrow. And currently I have a stethescope around me neck:)Thank you for the reminder on how important it is to not focus of self control, but surrender. love you!
em