Wednesday, September 3, 2008

What's New?? (part 3)

Wow, these blogs are soooo long! Lol, this one is finally telling you about what I am doing right now, in Lampang. I have finally caught up to myself! I am not sure how much longer I will be here, it could be a few hours or a couple weeks, only the Lord knows! I have seen and learned many things here in Lampang as well. I have been here for about 2 1/2 weeks. I have been able to see a Thai (Christian) wedding. It was not much different than a western wedding. (the little Bible boy was a case! He was yawning, stretching, looking around, making faces, the whole wedding. It was quite entertaining to say the least!)


I have been baby-sitting an adorable little Thai girl. She is about 7 months old! She is actually very good, and she seems to like the "farang" (Thai=foreigner).


We have been doing a few visitations to church-members or people who listen to the radio. We have been able to help them with health, to just talk with them and invite them to church (and some have come), and one of them invited us to come and teach at her school.


We went to teach at the school. It was very fun. We were supposed to go again, but unfortunately they had a meeting, and we weren't able to go.


Right now, every day, I am working at a radio station as a DJ! That is quite the experience. I never imagined myself being a DJ! I speak from 6-7 every morning (with translations) about the Bible and health. It is actually pretty fun! Yeah, it is live. God sure does have a sense of humor! I never would have imagined myself doing this, ever! :D I'm learning many things.


We have also been baking bread, cookies, and crackers! Learning how to make Thai-style bakery goods has been very fun! The crackers in this picture are very special ones. They take SOOO long to make, but are very good. We have to put all of the ingredients on by hand, so, yeah, they are very precious! They are so expensive that I probably would not buy them, but since we make them, then we get to eat some.


We have also done a weight-loss session with one lady. It was more of a detoxification, but also helping her loose weight. She had to leave part-way through for some unexpected business, but hopefully she will come back and we can finish later. We are praying for her.

We went to a Cancer Center here when they were having a big meeting. I thought we were just going to visit the patients (which we will do tomorrow for my birthday:). The man in charge of all the health information in the government was there speaking as an honored guest. We were not "supposed" to speak or share, but as I sit there listening to Thai words floating around, I hear this one word I recognize, farang, (foreigner) and EVERYONE (50+ people) turn and look at me! The health govenor asks me in English, "will you speak, please?" So, I had to speak! It was quite an exciting experience. Later I got to shake his hand and talk to him. WoW, never thought I would meet a government official in Thailand!


While I have been here in Lampang, I have also learned how to drive a motorcycle! I have driven one probably 8-10 years ago, but never enjoyed it! Lol, so I never really learned. Motorcycles are the biggest mode of transportation, so I decided I should learn! It has been very fun, but a little scarry at times. I am glad that I am learning, though! (sorry, no picture yet).

Here in Thailand, I have been getting lots of experience doing many things! It is not exactly what I expected, but I have been enjoying myself. Where flexibility is a necessity, life is never boring. The rest of the group from Southern (Kelly, Emily Yoder, Ricky, and Brian [graduated a few years ago]) are all coming this month! I am excited to see them!

I hope that you all have enjoyed my very long blogs, haven't gotten too bored, and that I will hear from you soon! Just remember, as it talks about all through Psalms, to praise the Lord no matter what is happening in your lives! Thank you all for your prayers. Bye for now.

9 comments:

Kelsey said...

I enjoyed your blog! Loved the pictures. Looks like you are productively busy!

MissionSK said...

Pibita!!!! MIss you so much! So excited to see your pictures, and super suuper long blogs. Wow... what experiences you are going through. be strong. When are you comming back? :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! Long blogs are good! especially with the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Hi Phoebe!
Thanks for all your posts. I really miss not having you in nursing classes! I'll keep in touch with Ms. Edna, planning to go see her next week. And Happy Birthday, a day late. : )
Praying for you,
Saralyn

Melody said...

Hey Phoebs!! Enjoyed your post and pictures! I'm headed to Bangladesh myself for a few weeks, so I wont be too far away! ;-) Praying for you....and happy Belated birthday, as well!

Love, Mel

Anonymous said...

Hi Pheobe!

It's been so interesting and exciting to read all your blogs! Brings a filling of longing for me. I'm so happy you're enjoying your time there! Keep trusting in the Lord! Have courage!

Love and prayers,
Jolene

Jen said...

i miss you. and happy late birthday. i am praying for you

shama said...

Hey Phoebe! Sorry I haven't had time to write you. I miss you bunches and am praying for you. Thanks for being such an amazing sister.

Anonymous said...

Hello PhoebEller!
I know I have been a bad friend, but KNOW for sure I have not forgotten about you and your mission, our memories still intact, and I am sooooo glad that you are getting this experience.
I think that these people are being blessed with your presence there, and I am glad that they get to know you because your are very special child of God.
Thanks for the update, and KNOW that we will be praying for you.
God bless you,
Juliana