Wednesday, September 3, 2008

What's New?? (part 2)

Since the last blog is so long and I have so much more to share, I decided that I would split the blog into two (or three). :D This is still on the same trip that was supposed to be a long weekend! We next went to a city, called Mae Sariang, and taught some other children. It was very exciting, because I got to play my first piano since I had been in Thailand (about 1 month)! It was a synthesizer, with no pedal, but it was still fun. Then they asked me to play for church and Sabbath School! Now, let me tell you, that is quite an experience!!! Let me tell you about it. Well, it was a Karen church and the numbers don't even look the same as ours, so.... one of my friends had to sit there and listen and proceed to open the hymnal for me. Then, some of the songs have English sub-topics, and some of them I knew, but the people sing them VERY differently sometimes. I usually play the piano rather fast, but the Thai and Karen people sing hymns (some of them) EXTREMELY slow! There are also some that they sing with different timing and notes. So, yes, that was a very exciting experience.

I also gave vespers, and after vespers was finished (at about 9:00 pm), I was asked to preach for church. That was quite an experience, but praise the Lord, He helped me to come up with information. My translator was almost 100 years old, and I trust that he did an amazing job! (lol, he only had to stop and ask me about one thing).

We were able to do a little site-seeing and went up this beautiful mountain to see some soy-bean fields!

Some of my friends and I up on the mountain!

We went visiting some people and they fed us some food. I only ate the rice and chili, and it's a good thing I learned to eat with my hands earlier, because that's what we did here.
We were able to visit and to share with them ways to help their sicknesses, aches and pains, etc. It was very neat!

We traveled back to Chiang Mai (our head-quarters) and there was something very exciting that we saw! As Jorge (one of my fellow student missionaries) was taking a bath, he saw a "rope" hanging from the wall in the bathroom. As he finished, he realized that it was actually a snake, eating a "tukay" (a huge lizard)! So, we all went and watched it eat this lizard that was fatter than the snake. It was quite an experience.
Here you can see the size of the snake and lizard next to a Thai 100 Baht (close to a $20.00 bill size)!

Fat snake, byebye Tuckay.

I was able to go to my first water-fall that we could walk on and not slip and fall to our death! I have gone twice. It is such a beautiful place! It was so nice and relaxing, getting the water-fall massage!

I praise the Lord for the trip that we were able to take out to the jungle. I believe that we will be taking more like that in the future.


2 comments:

The original blog of the Invincible Giant Peach said...

Hey Phoebe, I was going to tell you this a while back but I forgot to. That stream your at in the picture with all the whit calcified rocks. I've been there! It's so awesome. Not slippery at all just like you said and it's flowing right through the trees!!

A. Lena said...

Hi Phoebe, I've been to this waterfall! I don't know if you remember me, but I've known your family a little from ASI conventions (maiden name Arrabito). I've just started doing some communication work with JFA, so I be interested in using some stories from you for newsletters at some point. I've been enjoying your blog!
Blessings!