Thursday, September 18, 2008

Way to Fast (or Too Slow)

Especially here in Thailand, everything is about food! Greeting people, you don't usually ask them how they are doing, but you ask them, "kin kaow" (have you eaten rice)? Recently, my days have included many food activities. I help cook breakfast, lunch, and supper, help eat breakfast, lunch and supper, and help clean-up breakfast, lunch, and supper. I have also been helping at a bakeryThat takes a lot of time out of my day, but I enjoy it.


These last 2 days seem to have dragged by! I don't know if any of you have done a 5-day fast before, but it is amazing what a difference it makes on how your day goes! The first day (the 17th) was only water, which was the hardest. It went by sooooo slowly! I don't know why it's called a fast. :D I felt a bit tired and week, but it actually wasn't too bad. I did feel pretty hungry at different times during the day, but I drank LOTS of water!

Not only is this a fast, it is a "cleansing fast"! So, today, we started out our day at about 5:45 am with a "salt-water flush"! That was sure an experience. We were supposed to drink one liter of that water, so I tried my best. It was worse than drinking sea-water, it was sooooo salty! I tried putting lime in it before I started, but I couldn't even taste the lime! We didn't realize that the boy who made the salt-water for us put WAY too much salt in it, at least twice as much as was necessary. That was found out when I was about 1/2 finished. Then, I was told I didn't have to finish it. Some people vomited, some had lots of diarrhea, some had horrible headaches! I didn't vomit or have a terrible headache, but I did have the diarrhea! It was very crazy, but it sure has helped to "cleanse" me! Then, today we have been able to drink coconut water as well as normal water! Praise the Lord for coconuts! That has helped to give us more energy so that we can work and walk and think. I have fallen in love with coconuts since I have gotten here! They are soooo awesome. The only problem is that we can't eat the coconut meat, but oh well. :D At least we have something besides water.


Tomorrow, we have only coconut water, Sabbath we have citrus fruit and the coconut meat, Sunday we will have rice-porridge, and Monday is back to normal Thai food!

This has been an interesting experience, and these last two days have gone pretty slowly, but it is helping my body to be healthier. I have not been extremely hungry yet, but my stomach has been wondering what's happening. It seems to make my mind clearer, and hopefully will continue to. I will have to update you all sometime. It is a great experience!

On Tuesday, the last three people came to join our group! Emily Yoder, Brian Castellanos, and Alison Deacon all flew in. I'm so glad that the group is all together now, except there might be a couple more coming in December of January! Lol, Emily and Brian brought me some stuff from my family. I was so excited to get the nuts from Emily from my parents but I had to put them away because the next day was the fast! Then, just today, Brian got his luggage and gave me some stuff from Shama, and it was soooo tempting to eat it! Lol, thanks so much, I did feel very special, though!

Well, it's getting late and I need to sleep! Those of you at SAU, enjoy SEYC! We are praying for you all. Oh yes, there are some friends here that have blogs, and I have them linked to mine with Thailand after them. So check them out, too! God bless you all as you start your day.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Hey Phoebes! Thanks for the birthday wish. ; ) Glad things are going well over there, although I don't envy you with the whole salt water thing. ; ) Doesn't exactly sound healthy to me, but thats ok. ; ) I am glad that Emily made it over there safe. Now, I am counting on you to give me updates on how she is doing because, based on experiences with blogging up til this point, I am not expecting another one from her til Christmas! lol. Tell her I say hi, and that I didn't get her message until the day she left. Ok, well need to finish lunch. Love ya and miss ya!

shama said...

Wow! What an experience. I'm sure it was challenging, but a blessing. I pray that you were able to be thoroughly cleansed spiritually!